In Meghalaya, the office of the Commissioner for persons with Disabilities has been established in the year 2003 vide Notification number S.W. (S) 69/2001/122, dated 11.8.2003.
As per 2011 census, the State recorded 44317 Persons with Disabilities with 23326 male Persons with Disabilities and 20991 female Persons with Disabilities.
List of N.G.Os. Working for Persons with Disabilities
- Agency for Sustainable Development Initiatives
- Asha Rehabilitation Centre
- Association of the Challenged People
- Bethany Society
- Dwar Jingkyrmen School for Children in need of Special Education
- Ferrando Speech and Hearing Center, Ri Bhoi
- Khasi Disabilities Association
- Meghalaya Parents Association for Disabled (M.E.P.A.D.)
- Montfort Centre for Education Tura
- Society for the Welfare of Disabled