Report of Mairang Vidyajyoti Inclusive School
Activities of the year:
- 31st January 2013: District level Games and Sports organized by Special Olympic Bharat Meghalaya at Madan Mot Tirot attended by six staffs and Children with Disabilities.
- 28th March 2013: Shifting from rented school to permanent campus and Good Friday service in the new sc3hool.
- 25th April 2013: Parents' Meeting.
- 26th April 2013: Cleaning drive in school.
- 3rd May 2013: School sports.
- 5th June 2013:World Environment Day observed (Cleaning drive and Drawing Competition)
- 28th June 2013: Staff training on Handwriting Dictation and Reading by Ms. B. Myrthong at the school premises.
- 3rd August 2013:'Shillong Run' A fund raising programme was held at Polo Ground, Shillong.
- 24th June - 5th July 2013: Mid Term Examination and Assessments.
- 7th August 2013 : Distribution of Report Cards.
- 13th August 2013: Pre-Independence Day celebration at the school premises.
- 15th August 2013: Participating in the Independence Day celebration at Madan Dommawlum organized by SDO Civil Mairang.
- 23th August 2013: Cleaning Drive in school.
- 18th - 19th October 2013: 4 students with disabilities (Suktiris, Tibestar, Balarisuk and Eljun) participated in the sport meet for P.W.Ds at Nongpoh organized by special Olympic Bharat, Meghalaya where one staff (Ms.B. Marwein) accompanied them as an escort.
- 11th - 22nd November 2013: Final Examination and Assessments.
- 26th November 2013: Children's Day Celebration in school accompanied by the Synjuk ki Kynthei from Shillong.
- 3rd December 2013: Observed Word Disabled Day at the school premises in collaboration with the Society for Human Advancement and Rural Empowerment (Share).
- 5th December 2013: Awareness Programme Identification of Disability and Legal issues related to P.W.D. conducted by Tiewnylla Group from Shillong at the school premises.
- 9th December 2013: Distribution of Report Card.
- 13th December 2013: Mr. Metbah Lyngdoh (Local Member Legislative Assembly) and family donated and handover the school bus to the school authority.
14 years old Baiaikmen Jarain is a girl with Cerebral Palsy (Right Hemiplegia) and Moderate Mental Retardation. She started attending school at the age of 10 years. She studied in a special school before she joined MVIS.When she was brought to M.V.I.S. for admission.
Baiaikmen finds difficulty to name the current day and date independently. She can give only four objects when asked in random. She was unable to recognized money. She also needed supervision and physical prompt to take care of her personal needs. After a thorough functional and educational assessment, she was granted admission in Pre-Vocational Unit I in 2012. Within few months in Mairang Vidyajyoti Inclusive School, Baiaikmen has shown marked improvement in almost all areas. She is now able to name and tell the meaning of many sight words. She is now able to give 30 objects when asked in random. She is also able to write the current day and date own bio-data independently. She is able to recognized (money) coins of Rupees 1/- , 2/- , 5/- and 10/- and notes of Rupees 5/-, 10/- and 20/-. She is able to combine coins of 1/- + 1/- +1/- rupees... to make a sum of 2/- up to 10/- rupees correctly and independently. She is able to take care of most of her personal needs (self-help skills) independently with little supervision and physical assistance (because of her condition).Baiaikmen is doing exceeding well in her vocational trade too. She is able to make paper bag neatly and independently and is currently learning to make handbags in which she shows an interest and enthusiasm to learn. Baiaikmen is also a good artist. She enjoys and actively participates in dramas, dancing and singing.