Mairang Vidya Jyoti Inclusive School, Sangshong, Mairang
Mairang Vidyajyoti Inclusive School is a Co-education institution, started on 2nd June 2008 it is the only inclusive school in the whole district of West Khasi Hills District which cater children with disability.
Aim:-To provide and promote services leading towards life with dignity for children and young adults irrespective of their strengths and weaknesses through formal and non-formal educational services & vocational training programmes
- To provide quality educational services in an inclusive environment
- To facilitate positive awareness in the area of disability.
- To promote skill development to parents, caretakers of children with disabilities through home based skill programmes.
- To facilitate and empower the students became a contributive member of the Society.
Units under M.V.I.S.:
- A day School - Started with only one student the School now has a total of 144 students from class Nursery to class VII and a Vocational training unit. Besides, there are 25 Children with disabilities (C.W.Ds), they are, Cerebral Palsy(C.P.), Mental Retardation (M.R.), locomotor Disabilities(L.D.), Hearing and Speech Impairment(H.I. and S.I.) and Multiple Disabilities(M.D.).
Curriculum adaptation and flexibility lesson planning are emphasized for an effective learning.
- Out Patient Department (O.P.D.): It was mainly started with an aim to cater to children with severe and profound disabilities from distant villages and also for school going children who require special educational or therapeutic services.
Assessment (physical and Educational), evaluation, planning, counseling, referrals and home based programmes are shared with the parents or caretakers or teachers by a special educator and a physiotherapist
- Vocational training Unit: The vocational training of was started in July 2008, with the objective to rehabilitate the students from school. Presently, it caters to adults (general public) preferably, adults with disability.
- Types of trades provided: Embroidery, Tailoring and petty trades.
- Course duration : 6-8 months
- No of seats : 10 per trade