Implementation of Schemes by allied departments
- National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (N.H.F.D.C.) is implementing the scheme of Scholarship Trust Fund for and on behalf of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India for the students with disabilities.
Under these schemes, 2500 new scholarships are provided every year for pursuing Degree and Post Graduate level professional or technical courses
Under this scheme, 2500 Scholarships are provided to eligible differently-abled students Degree and Post Graduate level professional or technical courses from recognized institutions in lndia. The students may apply online (www.nhfdc.nic.in) any time in academic year from July 1st 2015 to June 30th 2016 and submit hard copy of the application duly recommended by head of the institution/college along with attested copy of requisite documents by Gazetted Officer. The Scholarship amount comprises course fees, maintenance al!owance, books and stationary allowance and aids and appliances of student.
- Scheme of Assistance to Persons with Disabilities for Purchase or Fitting of Aids and Appliances (A.D.I.P.)
The implementing agency for Schemes of Assistance to Persons with Disabilities Purchase or Fitting of Aids and appliances (A.D.I.P.) is State Resource Centre, Civil Hospital, Shillong. Social Welfare Department only collaborate and coordinate with State Resource Centre.
- Deen Dayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (D.D.R.S.).
Efforts is being made by the Department to mobilized the N.G.Os working in the field of Disability to avail financial assistance under the scheme Deen Dayal Disabled Rehabilitation of Government of India.
The State Government has recommended 6 deserving and genuine N.G.Os to avail the Government of India scheme of Deen Dayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme during 2010-11, 5 N.G.Os during 2011-12, 5 N.G.Os during 2012-13 and 9 N.G.Os during 2013-14
- Education: Since most of the population of persons with disabilities are illiterate, it is high time to bring them to the mainstream in the general education system through inclusive education .
The Department of School Education and Literacy has taken up Education of Children with special needs through Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (S.S.A.) to ensure free access to education till they attain 14 years of age. The Department have also implemented various schemes in the form of scholarship, transport facilities, free textbooks and braille as per the State Board prescribe syllabus to promote and integrate students with disabilities in the normal school.
District Disability Rehabilitation Centres (D.D.R.Cs) - During the period 2014-15 two D.D.R.Cs have been sanctioned by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for Persons with Disabilities, these are one each in Tura and Nongstoin
- The centres will impart rehabilitation services to the Persons with Disabilities and also organized awareness camps , detection, prevention and rehabilitation of Disabilities through intensive health check up and distribution of aids or appliances to Persons with Disabilities. The District Disability Rehabilitation Centre is implemented by the State Society for the Implementation of Rehabilitation for Persons with Disability (S.S.I.R.P.D.) and is located at State Resource Centres , Civil Hospital Shillong.